Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Melt-Less Pumpkin Snowman


Prince the Cat didn't seem to mind either way ;-)

So... these snowballs, I  mean pumpkins,
are the ones that I never got around to
drilling the holes into for my
outdoor Fall / Halloween porch decor.
I thought about chucking them over the fence
for Suzie Cow to eat. Then it occured to me that
I needed something for my Christmas/Winter
front porch decor. Instead of putting
 up a tree, I thought a "Snow" man
would be a fun and super cute project.
We don't get the pretty white snow 
down here in South East Georgia. 
However, we do have LOTS of the Green
Longleaf Pines needles and pinecones!
I scrounged around my hubby's t-shirt drawer
and found an old black one that
I cut just under the arm pits.
I cut a strip from the top of that to use
as a "rope" to tie off the top and
glue the t shirt edge to his "head."
I cut black felt circles for eyes and 
tummy buttons, and I cut the
smaller ones for the smile.
I found a piece of orange for the carrot nose.
His scarf is made from the sleeves
from one of my old sweaters.

His "arms" are smaller than I wanted
but I didn't feel like dragging out the
hedge trimmer, so I just found a 
bush that I was able to break off
some twiggy branches bare handed.

I'm undecided about the eyes...
should I cut some white dots?
They look a little, well... creepy...
What do y'all think?
How do I make his eyes look "happy"?

** Crescents added to eyes **
Better, much better ;-)

24 comments:

  1. Very cute idea. I love how you used what you had on hand. How did you connect the "snowballs"? I don't think he looks creepy, but you could always add some white crescents to the eyes to make him look happier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crescents it is... I used e6000 glue but it wasn't setting quickly enough due to the weight of the pumpkins, so my hubby drove an old arrow down through them... It will be interested when it comes time to remove it - I'm sure the arrow point is IN my table ;-)

      Delete
  2. I love this! Such a clever idea. I actually like the eyes. I like him just how he is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is very cute!! I think adding some white to his eyes might cheer him up a bit. I think he's perfect and I love the pine too!!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, I'll be adding the white tonight and post an updated pic tomorrow ;-) Thanks for visiting today.

      Delete
  4. Ahhhh how cute...make sure you show us his new eyes! lol
    Cindi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will... S GA actually got some good rain and it got COLD down here yesterday... if it drops below 70, I'm cold ;-)

      Delete
  5. We don't get much snow out here in southern New Mexico either. Love this idea! I am pinning it! Now following via GFC and Linky:)

    Ps Freedom Fridays Blog Hop goes live tonight (every Thursday) at 7pm mst. Would love to see your snowman or that too clever clay pot wreath at Freedom Fridays.

    Have a awesome day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I appreciate your visit today and the invite - will do ;-)

      Delete
  6. Oh wow - I had no idea those were pumpkins until I started reading the post. That's really cool. A very cute snowman.

    I'm stopping by from Katherine's Corner blog hop.

    Happy Favorite Things Thursday!

    http://artpark78.com/blog1/i-made-my-2012-holiday-wreath/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your all weather Santa. Thank you for sharing at the hop xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Snowman ;-) not Santa but when I come up with a cut version of him, I'll post it .... Thanks Katherine! Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  8. What a great snowman! The lanterns would look perfect on your porch! Hope you don't mind me following, love all your craftiness!

    Ilda
    http://www.ilovedoingallthingscrafty.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your following along and your sweet compliments. Now, if I can only find some of those jars...

      Delete
  9. What a great way to use those 'leftover' pumpkins from Thanksgiving and Halloween! My kids would love helping make this, too...painting the pumpkins and decorating, great idea!

    We'd love it if you'd stop by our Sunday Show and Tell Linky Party and share it!

    Hope you stop by...

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! I guess I should have kept those pumpkins! Have a great weekend!
    Leslie
    House on the Way

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an extremely clever and creative idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A reusable snowman? Who'd have thought of such a thing?! Oh, that's right - you did! :)

    Loving the photobombing cat too ;)

    Thanks for linking up!

    Sarah @ A Cat-Like Curiosity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, he'll be "good" as long as the weather stays cool - hoping he'll last thru January, but we'll see. Thanks for hopping over to comment.

      Delete
  13. He is adorably cute!! I love it! I'm pinning this to my Christmas board.
    (By the way, thanks so much for stopping by The Cozy Old Farmhouse a couple of weeks ago and commenting on my Shabby Chic bed makeover. I've fallen way behind in keeping up with my replies.)

    Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, aren't you the clever one! That is just too darn cute!

    ReplyDelete

Show some Comment Love!