Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Happy Birthday To ME!

Today's my 49th birthday! Here's 49 Trips down My memory lane:


  1. My first "rock" song I loved was Nancy Sintara's "These Boots Were Made For Walkin" and I had a pair of tall white Go-Go boots; I also loved "Downtown", and "Crimson and Clover"
  2. Daddy bought Mama a car with AIR CONDITIONING and an 8 TRACK TAPE PLAYER!!! WHOW! we were IT on the street ;) 
  3. I remember staying home from school to watch Captain Kangaroo & Mr. Green Jeans AND Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood!
  4. My brother was nearly drafted to go to Vietnam, but he was the only son. I remember seeing footage on TV and Mama crying.
  5. My Mother had one of those HORRIBLE Silver Aluminum Christmas trees = MAN, do I wish I had that thing NOW!!!
  6. Saturday Morning Cartoons were SPECIAL: I loved The Jetsons, Scooby Doo, Josie and the Pussycats and The Flintstones, The Monkeys, 
  7. It was cool to have a METAL lunch box with a thermos so I could bring TEA to school
  8. GAMES: Operation, Trouble, Twister, MONOPOLY!!!
  9. I bought 'Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific!' shampoo every time Mama would let me :)
  10. I loved Little House on the Prairie, The Walton's and Marty Stouffer's Wild America, then Tinker Bell would come out and announce the Disney movie
  11. Didn't miss Dick Clark's American Bandstand or The SSSOOUULL Train! (eventually MTV came along, way on down the road)
  12. I wanted to be a Solid Gold Dancer... HAHAHA!
  13. First thing I did when I got off the school bus was watch Gilligan's Island, Dark Shadows, The Andy Griffith Show, Gomer Pyle, and Lassie (I cried every time!)
  14. Prime time night shows: Starsky & Hutch, Charlie's Angels, The Six Million Dollar Man, and The Bionic Woman, and Wonder Woman, Welcome Back Kotter, Mod Squad, All in the Family, The Carol Burnette Show, The Jeffersons', Good Times, The Donnie and Marie Show, Hee Haw, WESTERNS: Gunsmoke, Big Valley, High Chapperal, Bonanza, Pettycoat Junction, The Beverly Hillbillies! Incredible Hulk! 
  15. I REMEMBER THE BEGINNING OF THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS!!!! 
  16. Disneyworld was a dream trip for me...M-i-c, See you real soon,K-E-Y Why? Because we LIKE You, M O U S E.
  17. Stuck in my head forever is the tune to McDonald's Big Mac song "Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun!"
  18. And Oscar Mayer song with the little boy fishing: "My bologna has a first name, it's O S C A R, my bologna has a second name, it's MAYER, oh I love to eat it every day, and if you ask me why I'll sayyyy, 'cause Oscar Mayer has a way with B O L O G N A!" I sat in my high chair, opened a new pack, folded each slice in half, and bit a hole in each piece... Mama was NOT happy...
  19. Piggly Wiggly Grogery Stores
  20. Capt. Crunch Peanut Butter Cereal, Tony Tiger Sugared Frosted Flakes, Kix "Hey Mikey!"
  21. Dawn dish detergent, 1972
  22. White Adidas shoes with the rubber toes and side stripes
  23. FULL SERVICE GAS STATIONS - they pumped your gas, cleaned your windshield, checked your tires and fluids - YES, I WOULD PAY FOR SOMEBODY TO DO THAT!!!
  24. My Favorite doll was The Crissy Doll from Sears
  25. Gap was THE PLACE to buy cool jeans, called Levis
  26. Hair dryers were hoods hooked to a hose, then I got my first gun shaped hair dryer.
  27. I remember when the Macon Mall and the Dublin Mall was built!
  28. I remember my parents having a Black & White TV, then bought the best thing on the market, a gigantic COLOR RCA Console TV
  29. Then they bought the huge console FM/AM Stereo RECORD PLAYER, with SIDE SPEAKERS
  30. Drive-In Movies, sitting in the bed of the truck with a chair or a blanket - then came the Air Conditioned Cinemas!!
  31. LOVE STORY with Ryan O'Neill and Ali McGraw!! 
  32. Cokes were bought in COLD glass bottles for 10 cents, and you could return the bottles and get a free drink; then they switched to cans with the pull tabs, and we made long chains to hang in your rooms
  33. LAVA LAMPS and purple light bulbs and velvet wall posters!
  34. It was COOL to DRESS UP for School in the Slack, Jacket and Vest outfit, we called it The K Mart Special
  35. JAWS ruined by beach trips to Jekyll Island, or any beach, and I had the shark tooth necklace. 
  36. Mama wouldn't let me see Saturday Night Fever (but I snuck in)  and The Bee Gees
  37. MEN actually wore those screen printed shirts
  38. Burt Reynolds was hot in this Trans AM in Smokey & the Bandit
  39. Dorothy Hammel made ice skating and HER HAIR style cool!
  40. Jimmy Conner and Chris Everett made TENNIS cool!
  41. I got my first big girl bike with a banana seat, tall handle bars with tassels and a pretty white basket with flowers
  42. Shag carpet!!
  43. Shake'n Bake for chicken and pork chops, AND I HELPED!!!
  44. The BIG SEARS AND ROEBUCK WISH BOOK CHRISTMAS CATALOG
  45. Easy Bake Ovens and gigantic Barbie Heads to Put make up on
  46. We moved to town and got CABLE TV and saw this stupid show called THE DUKES OF HAZZARD
  47. Farrah Fawcett Hair Cuts - or better said, "wanna be"
  48. Tupperware, S & H Green Stamps, and Corelle dinnerware!!!   
  49. Jeanne Natte, Windsong and Cache were considered GOOD perfumes :0

Gee, I could go on and on but that's enough for now...
My Birthday Song to Me
"Trip Around The Sun"
Jimmy Buffett and Martina McBride




Hear'em singin' Happy Birthday!
Better think about the wish I make,
This year gone by 
Ain't been a piece of cake.

Every day's a Revolution
Pull it together, and it comes undone
Just one more candle and a
Trip Around the Sun

I'm just hangin' on, 
while this old world keeps spinning,
And it's good to know it's out of my control.
If there's one thing that I've learned 
from all of this livin',
Is that it wouldn't change a thing 
if I LET GO...

No, you never see IT comin'
Always wind up wonderin' Where and When
And only time will tell 
If it was time well spent.

It's another Revelation,
Celebrating what I SHOULD HAVE done,
With these souvenirs of my Trip Around the Sun.

I'm just hangin' on, 
while this ol' world keeps spinning,
and it's good to know it's out of my control.
If there's one thing that I've learned
from all of this livin',
Is that it wouldn't change a thing 
if I LET GO...

Yes, I'll make a Resolution,
That I'll never make another one.
Just enjoy this ride on my Trip Around the Sun.
Just enjoy this ride...
(on my Trip Around the Sun)
Until IT'S DONE...
Sharing With:

12 comments:

  1. Happy Happy Birthday!
    Hope you have a wonderful day.
    Loved walking down memory lane with you.
    My cousin and I both had baby Chrissy. She still has hers. lol I gave mine a haircut.
    Birthday Blessings
    Trace

    www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a very happy birthday JoAnn!
    That was a fun trip down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Joann, gee memories! I am a little older but I do remember all those things
    Hope you have the best day ever
    Hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. JoAnn,

    Happy birthday sweet friend! Oh I could identify with just about everything! I'll be 49 too in a couple of weeks. I was singing the Bologna song and the McDonald one.....all those shows.....and I loved These Boots Were Made for Walkin' and I had the same boots and I danced in them! lol! Oh that was fun....thanks for the memories!

    Hugs,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. JoAnn,

    Happy Birthday to you,
    Happy Birthday to you,
    Happy Birthday Dear JoAnn,
    Happy Birthday to you..
    And many more!

    I remember most of those things too! What memories. Hope you have a wonderful~beautiful day!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my!! I can't believe you named ALL THOSE THINGS FROM MY PAST!!! It was good times tho, right!! Lol!!! Happy Happy Birthday my lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to you! The 49 List is very interesting. I also remember a lot of the things on your list. My daughter refers to the '60's and '70's as, "the olden times", lol :) Where does the time go...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank ladies! I appreciate all of your sweet birthday comments - indeed, where does time go? Funny thing, Brain doesn't feel 49, but Body does ;0

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy, Happy Birthday! I am a new reader and follower, and I just love this post, and walking down memory lane with you. This brought back fun and wonderful memories for me. Thank you so much, and have a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday JoAnn!! Wishing you all the best!

    I loved reading your list!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Belated Birthday JoAnn!! I hope you had a fabulous day! It was so fun going down memory lane with you. What a fun post!

    ReplyDelete

Show some Comment Love!