Thursday, August 23, 2012

De-Brassing My {Cow Bell} Lamps Part One



So, we've had a lot of
"Rainy Nights In Georgia" here lately...
and days... and gnats... and bugs...


This is part one of my attempt to
get my old "cow bell" living room lamps
de-brassed and looking up to date.
Yep, that's a broken bulb holder - thingy,
hanging there, all pitiful like.
One reason why I won't cry if this project 
doesn't turn out the way I like. 
The other reason is those light bulb pulls...
They are terrific features to these old lamps,
'cause when you want the light off, you
don't have to reach up inside (and burn your fingers)
to get to the turn switch. 
They hang low enough that it's an easy reach BUT
when you let loose of them, 
they give off that distinctive DING A LING
of a Cow Bell... so that's what I named them...
my Cow Bell Lamps... which MIGHT not be so good
for the spray paint job that is to follow.
I'm not sure if the paint will be able
to withstand the banging of the ball pull.
You can see the way they looked in my post HERE.
And, with out fail, YOU KNOW WHO
{Suzie Cow} came meandering over,
checking out what I was doing, 
but what she REALLY wanted was some
 of those PEARS off my tree.
Please excuse my over grown grass - 
Rain mixed with a tired husband don't mix 
during the weekdays, and we were 
goofing off relaxing at the lake last weekend.
As y'all can see, that ain't exactly
"Moon light through the Pines", as Ray Charles sings,
and before I even started the project, I had
my fingers crossed that I could finish it...
But I wasn't about to push my luck
with The Powers That Be!
So, until next time, Y'all have a Good Thursday!

Sharing this with:
Sunny Simple Life

18 comments:

  1. I just painted a brass candle holder and made it into a hat-stand. After painting it, I sprayed it with clear acrylic. It scared me at first because (I don't know if it was because it was brass) in a few places the paint crackled up. I just took my finger and smoothed in back down . . . I liked the effect it ended up making and the finish seems really strong. So, you might want to try it. You can see my hat-stand on my recent post. It is the stand with the spiral base. Go to my market blog (there is a link) and see it close up.
    Let me know what you think. If you try it, let me know how it turns out with your lamp.

    have a great day, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Connie, I'll hop over and check it out. I like that you are using it in a different way than its original purpose, like bring the outdoors in, the indoors out... thanks for visiting ;)
      JoAnn

      Delete
  2. lovely update on that lamp! I also think the light pulls are awesome. I prefer easy switches , rather than those twisty kind that hurt your fingers... I'm about to get rid of two of my lamps that are just too hard to turn off and on (especially if I just put lotion on, lol!)

    ~Lisha

    p.s. I'm your new linky and GFC follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) I know what you mean. My husband has put those switches on a couple of things, and I like them. Thanks for following along!

      Delete
  3. Hi JoAnn, thanks for the lovely comment you left. I am thrilled that you like my hat-stands. Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see how they turn out!

    The rain is good, we need it...but we need some sun too. We are behind on spraying our trees.

    I'm really worried about that tropical storm too. WE DO NOT NEED THAT!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting - Storms are scary stuff!

      Delete
  5. Can't wait to see the finished project! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to see it all finished!! To bad the weather stopped the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol! Sometimes we have to tweak our plans a little, don't we? :)

    Don't you just love paint? What a difference it can make! I can't even count how many things have gotten the rustoleum treatment around here! :) Can't wait to see your finishe project, JoAnn!

    Oh, and the grass will still be there patiently waiting, no worries! :)

    Blessings and great weekend to you!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tammy, thanks for popping over to visit and comment - could not live without spray painting - so quick and easy to use :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Joanne! I love the cowbell lamp! I just wanted to stop by for a visit today, I am missing my blog buddies so much! Thanks for all your kind words to me recently! I am still not doing any better. Just got an MRI and hopefully the dr will have some good advise, etc on Tuesday. Got me a cane to help my walking, and trying not to go batty! My vision and constant vertigo is terrible, but had to come visit! Hope you are doing awesome!
    Blessings,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Susie, prayers are with you and the Drs to work to get you back on the right track.

      Delete
  9. Oh to live in pines. They make the best sounds as the breeze blows through them. Great redo. I just love old lamps. Can never find anything good in the stores now. New lamps are so cheaply made. I would love if you would share over at Sunny Simple Sundays. http://sunnysimplelife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine, will do. Glad you visited my site ;)

      Delete
  10. I have been thinking of painting some brass candlesticks I rarely ( never) use. Thank you for the inspiration. thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop. Sorry I'm so late in sending my thanks xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love the pull chains on lamps. Your lamp is going to be beautiful when you finish. I had some painting jobs put on hold today because of all the humidity and rain. Looks like no painting for a few days due to the storm.

    ReplyDelete

Show some Comment Love!