Thursday, February 9, 2012

Punched Tin Paneled Country Cabinet

What could possibly be more COUNTRY than a
Punched Tin Paneled Cabinet,
complete with hanging cast iron skillets
and topped with antique stoneware jugs, old 
Duraglas Pyrex, Knox and Ball canning jars?
Of course, my ever so crafty husband did all the carpentry
while I did all of the metal cutting and 
punching, punching, and more PUNCHING. 
Kidding aside, I really did enjoy doing this project, but
after about the third panel into it, with nine more to go,
 my ADD/ADHD / very little patience / ready to get it done /  boredom with the same project started to set in.
I love projects that produce quick results 
with little invested time (is there even such a thing?)
Not exactly what punching 12 panels gets you 
but neither does cross stitching, nor quilting,
nor many of the other crafts I love to do. 
It's been so long since we built this cabinet, I don't
remember the name of the design, Dresden, I think.
I was so exhausted from punching the top twelve,
and SO ready to be done with the project,
that I opted to skip punching the bottom doors and 
 got creative with leftover wallpaper and border.

The top set houses our food items and the bottom holds
my most used pots and pans, skillets and lids.
Not bad for a couple of DIY-ers!

**Added Note: I got the pattern from a 
picture in a magazine I fell in love with.
I had to use the zoom and brightness
buttons on the copier to get it
the needed size, then made 12 copies.
  
PLUS I do plan on punching the same design
for my pine hutch cabinet doors, that are 11x14.
The pine cabinet sits directly to the right of this cabinet.
One of it's glass inserts in one of the top 
doors broke, not long after we moved it into
this house. The tin panels that are in it now shows
too much of my "beginner" punching mess ups...
so, I won't be posting a pick of that ;/

Now, YOU go PUNCH something!

25 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a lot of punching! So worth it, though.
    Sometimes, "my eyes" are bigger than "my stomach" on projects, too. Right now I am working on my studio area, phew, haven't touched my blog since October 31. I have a lot of catching up to do! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Yes, I have more "Crafts To Do" than are actually getting done:) You have a nice day as well!

      Delete
  2. I think the things we wind up loving the most are those looong projects. Labors of Love! but I know what you mean about wanting to move on and be done. Could be we just have too many projects on our minds :)

    xx susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is SO true! It seems like I'm all over the place with different projects going on at the same time. I must strive to do better. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. How very clever you both are. With a fairly new kitchen, there will be no punching at home, but l am looking for an older style kitchen dresser for my beach house, and maybe l could do something on that when l find one, especially if l do a beachy theme design. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds exciting! I'm just now getting very interested in redoing old furniture with the crackle type painting or distressed painting. Please do post a link of the dresser to this post so I can see it. Have a great Friday!

      Delete
  4. i love the country look. nice! i have a giveaway going on at my butternut street blog.
    i don't have many entries if you wanna come check it out. fabric! lol. have a great friday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your cabinet is lovely

    well done!

    now following
    via Linky Followers
    and hope you'll return the favor!

    alison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly! Will do... I'm trying to figure it all out too.

      Delete
  7. Wow! I don't blame you one bit for mixin' it up at the bottom...plus it breaks it up and gives it an eclectic feel...I feel you on the ADD projects mess!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! very eclectic indeed. And none no more that my daughter's room - I'm dying to post pics of some of her bottle projects, and some of her drawings from college... Country does not enter her room:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow....that's beautiful! I love everything about it!

    Jason made our entertainment center in our living room and it has punched panels. We, however, ordered the punched panels to insert into his carpentry work.

    I'm very impressed! That's such an awesome piece! That's definitely a piece to treasure. Have you two signed the back of it? You should! :)

    Have a great weekend! :)

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! no, didn't even think about signing it. We found the site that sells the panels but we needed a specific size, so had to do them by hand. I'm proud of it :)

      Delete
  10. Love the punched tin and is a good idea for my next house (maybe I can talk Billy into the punching) I am going to have a give away in my blog next week for coffee so be sure and check it out. I had lost the link to you somehow but just happened to find it in old comments :)
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! it's not hard, just time consuming, so just pace yourself. I think that was my biggest hurdle. I'm "growing" myself some patience this year ;) plus there are only two panels to do for my pine hutch. Thanks for commenting, and I will check out your giveaway!

      Delete
  11. The cabinet is beautiful. Where did you find the punch design? I'm putting swinging (picture old saloon) doors in for my pantry and I'd like to put punched tin in the inserts. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I saw it in a country magazine and used the zoom feature on my copier to get it the size I needed, then adjust the color to find the holes. I had a hard time deciding on this pattern, or a star pattern. I love them both!

      Delete
  12. Lovely cabinet--my favorite are the iron skillets on the side--so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Amazing cabinet! It has such a farmhouse flair. Wonderful job! (Newest follower)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there! thanks for following along and for your sweet compliment ;)

      Delete
  14. Oh my goodness, that is a lot of punching! I'm like you,can get kinda bored doing the same thing over & over & over, but the results really did pay off for you. I love the country feel of your project, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) this cabinet is my stand-in until I can afford a REAL antique pie safe.

      Delete

Show some Comment Love!