Thursday, January 19, 2012

TUTORIAL Repurposed Wood Wick Candle Jars

These are re-purposed Wood Wick Candle Jars.
Make them for the bath to hold cotton balls, cotton rounds, 
Q-tips, band-aids, ponytail holders, barrettes, short combs, 
tubes of lip balm, you name it! 

For the sewing room, fill with buttons, safety pins,
empty bobbins, scraps of lace, etc...

For the beach lover, fill with small sea shells
or layers of the colored sands...


Melt the remaining unwanted wax. 
I let my coffee *CUP* (*see ending note) 
warmer do all the work for me ;)  
Get a dry dish cloth to carefully pick up the
VERY VERY WARM jar...
Some people pour it in ice trays or egg cartons to use for another craft. Me? I had a weed that needed to go. 
HOT WAX ought'a do the trick! (gasp!)
Could this have been a tip for 'Tip Tuesday'?

By the time you walk back into the house, it will be cool
enough for you to wipe the remaining goo 
out with a paper towel. After complete cool-down,
wash as normal with a degreaser cleaner, like Dawn,
or use the "Magic of 409" to clean it out.

Wash the wooden lids and the removable 
rubber seals. I did let them air out a couple of days.
Unless it was a scent you just didn't like,
it'll freshen up the cotton balls/rounds you'll be using.
But if you don't like the odor, you could use a 
clear sealant to spray on a couple of coats. I did not.

OK... onto the FUN part...
For this project, using the Wood Wick lids...
I used some left over "leaf-y reds'n tans" material. 
If you ARE using left overs, be sure you have enough for the number of lids you want to cover. I am planning on four.
Cut your material around the lid, allowing an EXTRA 1/4"
for gluing down the sides.
It's pretty thin material-at just the right angle I could see WW

I cut out some left over batting a tad smaller than the lid
Dab a couple glue dots to the lid top,
 then place the batting down .

Layering the material, batting and the lid, glue
around the slanted lid a bit - NOTE, see the dripping glue?
Wipe it off quickly! It will hinder the shutting of
the lid if you don't. I didn't and had to cut it off with scissors, after it dried.)

Glue a little at the time. Use something like a small screw driver to help press down & hold the material,
so you don't burn your fingers.

Trim off any remaining material or glue that goes below the 
lid rim - it will not shut correctly if you don't.

I **finally chose the 3/8" grosgrain cream colored ribbon
AND decided to try Aleene's TURBO tacky glue. 
Though I'm happy to report 'no burnt fingers,'
I really missed the INSTANT stick of hot glue.
And, oddly enough, the smell of burnt glued fingers.



Then I added a little bow :)  One down, three more to go. 
(the 4th will hold bandages)

About the **finally... I first used raffia for trim
 BAD choice.  The way these WW jars are shaped, 
the raffia made it look top heavy. See below.
I removed it - after the hot glue dried. 
(you'll see THIS Tip on Tuesday)
However, I will say that the lid by itself looked good, 
but when placed on this jar, it looked out of place.

Do you have a craft using these empty jars?
I welcome your comments.


*NOTE: I have been using this little gadget I purchased years ago, a CUP WARMER, that came with a cup and coffee sample pack, (I even bought one for a co-worker as a Christmas gift)
to melt my candles LONG before they were even marketed as CANDLE warmers. See Photo. 
(Did I miss my ticket to financial freedom?)
This is AMERICA. Use what you want, how you want.
*Show your support for me on Pinterest
by re-pinning my post.*
JoAnn


9 comments:

  1. I have reused the Yankee Candle jars for cotton balls and qtips but I love the idea of covering the WW top like that! CUTE! I'm sure I will be using this for ALH's bathroom re-do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, I know you'll find a super cute material that will match her polka dots ;)

      Delete
  2. I don't think they can legally do that, you aren't claiming that you thought of the idea or that you are marketing the cup warmer as a tart warmer. You CAN use whatever you want and unless you were using their tart warmer without permission I don't see where you would be violating any copyright.
    Hugs,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and if you were violating a copyright, why didn't they tell you to remove it from your blog? Right? Ha, I think you got them.
    Hugs,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. CUP warmer, not CANDLE warmer. Sounds like they are the ones who need to read the fine print. Also, I agree with Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not marketing anything, only providing a how-to. It would seem a compliment, if anything.

      Delete
  5. UPDATE: It has been pointed out to me that I was not the target of the email, but another person. Thank you for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post!! Thank you for this tips on how to make woodwick candles.

    Find out more: Woodwick Candle Australia

    ReplyDelete

Show some Comment Love!