Saturday, October 8, 2011

Thank God We’re Country Boys!

One of my husband’s favorite songs (well, at least the kind of song that has a catchy tune) is John Denver’s “Thank God I’m a Country Boy.” And I have a feeling if my son, John, had been born in the 1970s, it would have been his favorite, too.  The men in my life have spent most of their lives growing up in the country – now when I say country, I mean COUNTRY.  As in 20 miles in either direction from anything that resembles a “small town”, and 100 miles from something called a “city.”  And they wouldn’t have it any other way. 



‘Why,’ you might ask?  It all boils down to ancestry and 53 acres of LAND ownership – as in PAID IN FULL - filled with “retirement” growing up out of the ground. 

(And how do YOU plan on supplementing YOUR retirement?)

When we all get home, were surrounded by FAMILY on all sides, with plenty of room for favorite outdoor activities like 4-wheeler riding and Mud Boggin’, 

IS THIS FUN OR WHAT!
 

driving around on a big red tractor, skeet and target shooting, a big yard to play football or baseball, deer hunting, hog hunting, 

LIFE IS GOOD 




a dirt road long enough to beat any walking track in a big city, and best of all… FRESH AIR! No pollution, no honking horns, no neighbor’s radios blasting away – just the sound of the breeze blowing in the trees… the down side? Well, the now obvious gasoline expense of course, and dust from the dirt roads. Dust is our main enemy out here. But there’s a remedy for that called “dusting” –which I need to do right now!  Somehow I keep hearing the tune buzzing in my head, “Green Acres is the place to be, Farm livin’ is the life for me, Land spreadin’ out so far and wide, Keep (the city), Just give me that Countryside!”

video

3 comments:

Show some Comment Love!